Have you ever wondered why so many kids these days have trouble with spelling? Have you ever wondered why so many kids mix up simple words like which to/too/two or their/there/they’re to use? If so, you’ll know that it’s difficult because there is so much incorrect spelling used in our community today in advertising, product names, social media etc. So what do you do? Many people have found success by trying to home school their kids with spelling. But there are a few things you should know before you jump in the deep end and buy an off-the-shelf spelling book. This post will tell you what you need to know to make sure you select a guide to kids spelling that will help you successfully improve your child’s spelling.
If you’re looking for a simple, easy to use spelling guide, the best method to ensure you end up with something that helps you help your kids is by looking for these things:
- Make sure the spelling guide you buy is written for parents to use. If it is not, you’ll have trouble understanding how to use it and the educational jargon it uses. If it is using words like phonemes, allophones and morphemes, put it back on the shelf and look elsewhere.
- Ensure your preferred spelling guide has a down to earth explanation of each spelling rule so you can easily teach it to your child.
- Ensure the spelling guide you select contains some spelling activities you can use so that your child can practice applying the rules.
- It will also help if your spelling guide explains which words DO NOT follow the rules of spelling.
- Any good spelling guide should take a step by step approach to teaching the spelling rules. This is important because you need to build a solid foundation of understanding that you can gradually build on as your child gets older.
While not necessary, some great bonus features of a great spelling guide are lists of words that apply to each spelling rule and a graded spelling list.
Now that you know what to look for in a spelling guide, you’re ready to start searching the internet for a book of spelling rules without worrying that you will buy a spelling guide that is not going to do the job.